When a loved one passes away, it is often an emotionally draining time for loved ones and survivors. Unfortunately, at this same time there are important decisions that must be made and legal documents that are required to be filed that could affect you and your family’s future financial well-being. Even if your loved one took steps to prepare for their passing, there is still the likelihood that some part of their estate could end up going through the Michigan Probate Court System.
Our law firm can provide the legal knowledge and experience to guide you through this system, providing the following types of probate services:
- Court appointment of a personal representative for estate;
- Marshalling of assets, including a thorough inventory of all holdings and valuations of any personal property or real estate holdings;
- Payment of final charges through the estate, including funeral expenses, taxes, and payments to creditors;
- Choosing someone to act as your healthcare power of attorney for medical decisions and HIPAA medical records authorizations.
- Disbursement of assets to beneficiaries as designated through existing wills and trusts, or through the Michigan intestate succession laws;
- Final closing of your loved one’s estate.